Monday, June 8, 2009

Face-crack

Let's just get this out of the way: I loathe Facebook.

In the words of the great Peter Griffin, it really grinds my gears.

In my words, it's a pack of crazed chiuahua's chasing each other around a chalkboard-laden room while Bob Dylan and John Popper play some gnarly harmonica.


We all know what it's "good" for. Keeping up with those of day's long gone, and posting and commenting and tagging and editing and quoting and playing trivia and sending friends drinks and stalking and annoying and, and, and, and....

It's fu#king intrusive.

Call me a hermit. A loner. A homebody. Whatever.

I don't give a sh!t about what someone I knew for a few weeks back in high school when my friend invited them to our lunch table because they also liked salads with a crap-ton of ranch dressing said about someone else whom I wouldn't mind seeing in person but otherwise don't give a flying flop about's friggin' plans for Friday night.

See my point?

Keeping up with friends is great, and we should all maintain some level of social-synchronization. It's definitely in the process of eliminating the need for class reunions. (Now, we can all catch up in our underwear, thank you Tim Brenners-Lee.) But there's a line, somewhere, in some kind of black,volcanic sand that stipulates the level of information I need, much less care to know about people I know, knew, or once shared a laugh with.

So I should just delete my account and withdraw from the black hole that has become of social-networking, right? Well I did once, only to be pestered by friends who could no longer tag me in our numerous photo-op's, galavanting the streets at night.

It can be useful, and it's nice to log-on and check up on an old friend you haven't seen in a while. I just don't care to know that they don't like their new tube of toothpaste.

AND STOP WITH ALL THESE DAMNED APPLICATIONS!!! AT LEAST MAKE THEM USEFUL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment